Sunday 3 May 2015

Codename: MG Not-Nu WIP #10

I actually got this idea from CybranKnight, I had been having a lot of trouble getting a nice even symmetrical blade and then duplicating that any number of times for a heat blade that is on and off.

Shapeways seems to have been a pretty good solution to my dilemma, overall it was a bit rough but sanding and putty will take care of that nicely. As the first product I've had printed from them I tried to keep it all very simple and print something like a blank that I can add detail to as I see fit.

I've learned a few things about what can and cannot be printed by Shapeways. Their tolerances lean towards thicker parts, which I underestimated, next time I'll aim for much wider tolerances. This model specifically had some loose shell parts that didn't get printed (I've already gone and fixed the problem).


I like this first attempt quite a lot, but I think I can improve on it quite a lot. Overall I enjoyed the process of modelling parts for my Gunpla so I think I'll try more of it in the future.


For now I've got two other Sword models up on Shapeways I'm keen to try out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment